It’s not common to discover beef on a menu in India.
Beef chili has many avatars. The beef chili made in my home is comfort food.
Make it ahead or serve it straight from the stove. This is a dish you’ll find only in a handful of houses in India.
- Yield: Serves 4
- Total time: 1 hour
- 2 pounds beef flap meat or sirloin, trimmed of excess gristle and cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 big onions, fine sliced
- 12 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 8 small hot green chilis slit lengthwise
- 2 roma tomatoes cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon toasted and ground cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
Toss beef in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 tablespoon pepper. Add turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon pepper, and ground cumin.
Move the onion mix to one side of the pan and add the beef to the cleared side. Stir and blend the onion and beef together. Minimize heat to low and enable beef to prepare in its juices until simply prepared through, about 25 minutes.
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We might make a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.