Ingredients: 1 bay leaf,1 tablespoon butter,1/2 small carrot, grated,1 rib celery, cut in half,2 to 3 pounds pasta, cooked to al dente when sauce is ready,4 cloves garlic, minced,1 1/2 pounds ground beef,1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage,2 to 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning,6 large mushrooms,2 tablespoons olive oil,1 small onion, chopped,2 teaspoons dried oregano,Grated Parmesan, optional,2 cups red wine,6 ounces tomato paste,16 ounces tomato sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and sausage and cook until both are browned. Set aside.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until softened; do not let brown.
- Add tomato sauce and paste.
- Add 44 ounces of water (2 cans each of the tomato sauce and paste filled with water). Stir and then add all remaining ingredients except pasta and cheese.
- Add the browned meats. Stir to combine and bring to a very low simmer, lowering the heat as needed. Simmer very slowly for 3 to 4 hours, checking the taste occasionally and adjusting seasoning accordingly. (The long cooking time is critical). When sauce has reduced substantially and thickened considerably, remove celery and bay leaf.
- Serve over cooked pasta and top with Parmesan, if desired.