Preparation: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
Serve up steaming bowls of this chili to warm your household on a cold winter season’s day … and you’ll get plenty of compliments! Travis Skroch of Stratford, Wisconsin shared the dish for the perfectly spiced chili that simmers all day in the sluggish cooker.
Zippy Slow-Cooked Chili Dish photo by Taste of Home
- 1 pound lean hamburger (90% lean)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a nonstick frying pan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. sluggish cooker. Include the tomatoes, onion, green pepper, chili, tomato sauce, chili powder, parsley, basil, cumin, garlic, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or till the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and chives prior to serving.
1-1/3 cups: 266 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 759 mg salt, 27 g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.