With this hearty main dish recipe, the bread is baked right in the casserole. The meal covers all 4 food groups, and it’s an ensured family pleaser.– Darlene Alexander, Nekoosa, Wisconsin.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup entire milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a frying pan, brown ground beef; drain.
- In a big bowl, integrate all crust ingredients except 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; mix well.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
1 cup: 452 calories, 23 g fat (13 g hydrogenated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 1195 mg salt, 38 g carbohydrate (12 g sugars, 4g fiber), 23 g protein.