This bright and briny vegan egg salad is just as good as the real thing! Made with turmeric, tofu, vegan mayo, and mustard, it’s healthy and easy to make.
I could eat this vegan egg salad for lunch every day in the spring. It’s bright and briny, creamy and tangy, and every bit as good as the real thing. Tofu steps in for the eggs, so it’s packed with enough plant-based protein to keep you full till dinner. And because you don’t need to have hard boiled eggs on hand to make it, it comes together in no time. Mix it up, pile it between slices of bread with your favorite fresh fixings, and dig in!
Vegan Egg Salad Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy vegan egg salad recipe:
- Extra-firm tofu perfectly mimics the texture of hard boiled eggs!
- Vegan mayo and olive oil make up the rich, creamy base of the dressing.
- Dijon mustard, capers, and lemon juice add bright, tangy, briny flavor.
- Garlic, chives, and fresh dill make it feel really fresh, and they add sharp, savory depth of flavor.
- Turmeric gives this vegan egg salad the classic yellow color that would normally come from egg yolks.
- A pinch of celery seed is the perfect savory finishing touch!
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, garlic, turmeric, and capers. Stir in a pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper, and add the tofu. Finally, stir in the herbs and celery seed, and chill until you’re ready to serve. Find the full recipe below!
Vegan Egg Salad Recipe Tips
- Use extra-firm tofu. If you buy tofu often, you probably know that it ranges in texture from silken to extra-firm. Soft silken tofu has too high a water content to work well here – it will make your egg salad mushy! To mimic the texture of hard boiled eggs, seek out extra-firm tofu for this recipe. Before you dice it, lightly press it in kitchen or paper towels to release some of its moisture.
- Dice, then crumble the tofu. We’re going for the texture of egg salad, not scrambled eggs, so we don’t want to crumble the tofu too much. I recommend dicing it into little 1/4-inch cubes before using your hands to lightly crumble it into the dressing, leaving some of the cubes intact.
- Don’t skip the celery seed. Celery seed is the secret ingredient in Jack’s mom’s famous deviled eggs. Because this recipe has a similar tangy, bright, eggy flavor, I thought I’d try it here. The results were fantastic! Its savory flavor really takes this vegan egg salad over the top.
Vegan Egg Salad Serving Suggestions
I like to pile this vegan egg salad onto a sandwich with watercress, radish slices, and a pop of pickled red onions. Enjoy the sandwich on its own, or serve it with a fresh salad or soup. Any of these recipes would be great choices:
- Caesar Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Greek Salad
- Best Broccoli Salad
- Rainbow Kale Salad
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
For more ideas, check out my 37 Best Salad Recipes or 25 Best Soups!
If you’re not in the mood for a sandwich, feel free to serve the tofu egg salad with crackers or pita or over a bed of spring greens. It will keep in the fridge for 3 to 5 days, so it’s a great recipe to make ahead for quick lunches throughout the week. See this post for my best meal prep tips!
More Favorite Sandwich Recipes
If you love this vegan egg salad sandwich, try one of these sandwich recipes next:
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Seared Tofu Banh Mi
- Avocado Toast (5 ways!)
- Lemon Edamame Avocado Sandwich
Then, find more healthy lunch ideas here and more vegan recipes here!
Vegan Egg Salad
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
This bright & briny, tangy & creamy vegan egg salad recipe is just as good as the real thing!
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 7.5 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Pinches of celery seed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 6 slices of whole-grain sandwich bread
- Watercress or spring greens, optional
- Pickled red onion, optional
- Radish slices, optional
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, mustard, capers, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, salt, and several grinds of black pepper.
Mix in the tofu and then lightly crumble it with your hands, keeping some of the cubes intact. We’re going for the texture of egg salad, not scrambled eggs.
Stir in the celery seed, dill, and chives. Chill until ready to serve.
Assemble the sandwiches with watercress or spring greens, a scoop of the egg salad, and pickled onions and radish slices, if desired.
This post is in partnership with the Grain Foods Foundation.