Ingredients: 3 1/2 pounds flat-cut beef brisket,1/4 cup bourbon,1 tablespoon lightly packed dark brown sugar,1 tablespoon chili powder,2 tablespoons Dijon mustard,2 teaspoons granulated garlic,1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin,Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper,2 teaspoons onion powder,1 tablespoon smoked paprika,1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Whisk the bourbon, mustard, chili powder, paprika, sugar, granulated garlic, onion powder, cumin, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper together in the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker. Use a fork to pierce deeply all over the brisket, then place in the slow cooker and rub all over with the paste. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat until a meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 185 to 200 degrees F in the thickest part, about 4 hours.
- Turn the heat off and remove the insert from the slow cooker. Cool the brisket for at least 15 minutes in the cooking liquid.
- Transfer the brisket from the cooking liquid to a large plate or baking sheet, and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve the cooking liquid. In a large cast-iron pan set over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat until it starts to shimmer.
- Add the brisket, fat-side down, and sear until browned and slightly crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Use tongs or two metal spatulas to carefully flip the brisket. Cook until browned and slightly crispy on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice the brisket against the grain.
- Serve hot with the cooking liquid.