Ingredients: 2 tablespoons butter,1/3 cup finely minced fresh parsley, plus more if needed,1 clove garlic, finely minced,A pinch of coarsely ground black pepper, plus more if needed,1 lemon, zested and halved,1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes,4 rib eye steaks, 2 inches thick,Salt, optional,Salt and freshly ground black pepper,2 sticks salted butter, softened
- For the cowboy butter: Well in advance, make the cowboy butter.
- Place the softened butter in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Whip the butter until it's fluffy.
- Add the parsley, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic, lemon zest and the juice of half the lemon.
- Mix it until it's totally combined, scraping the sides as needed.
- Add more parsley, more lemon juice, more pepper or salt if you'd like.
- Lay out a long piece of plastic wrap and scoop the butter mixture in a long strip down the middle of it. Carefully pull one side of the plastic wrap over the butter, squeezing it gently to form it into a log. Continue to roll the log of butter into a roll. When it's all rolled up, twist the ends (like a piece of candy) until they become very taut (this means the butter is pressing together inside the plastic to form a cohesive roll).
- Place the roll of butter into the fridge so it will harden, or into the freezer if you need to speed along the process.
- For the steaks: Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the steaks.
- Melt the butter in a heavy ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When it's melted and golden brown, sear the steaks for about 45 seconds per side. Set in the oven to finish, about 3 minutes.
- Lay a thick slice of cowboy butter on top of each steak so it will begin to melt.
- Serve within 5 minutes.