- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 red onions, 2 1/2 very finely sliced, 1/2 grated
- 400 g lamb mince
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout
- 85 g pistachios, approximately sliced
- 1/2 small pack flat-leaf parsley, approximately chopped
- 4 tablespoon good-quality apricot jam
- passion and juice 1 lemon
- 2 carrots, cut into skinny matchsticks
- 4 round wholemeal pitta breads, split and warmed
- 4 tablespoon Greek-style yogurt, to serve
- ACTION 1
Put 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, add most of the chopped onions with some spices and cook over a medium heat for about 15 mins until soft and golden.
- ACTION 2
Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. In a large bowl, integrate the mince, grated onion, ras el hanout, most of the pistachios, half of the parsley and some flavoring. Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into patties. Place on a baking tray and brush with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Grill for about 10 mins, turning once, up until browned and cooked through.
- STEP 3
Include the apricot jam, a big pinch of enthusiasm and half the lemon juice to the prepared sliced onions, bubble down up until thick, then set aside. To make the salad, mix the carrots, booked sliced up onions and staying parsley in a bowl, then toss in the staying lemon juice and olive oil and some flavoring. To serve, spoon the apricot relish into the pittas. Add the koftas, salad, yogurt and staying pistachios. Serve the pittas open with the filling stacked on top.
Recipe from Good Food publication, February 2016