Ingredients: 1 bay leaf,6 pounds beef short ribs,1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in thick puree,1 carrot, chopped,2 celery ribs, chopped,2 cups dry red wine,4 cloves garlic, chopped,3 cups low-sodium chicken stock,1/4 cup olive oil, divided,1 large onion, coarsely chopped,1 orange, zested,1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves, for garnish,Salt and freshly ground pepper,3 thyme sprigs,1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat about 2-tablespoons of the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Season the short ribs well with salt and pepper. Over medium heat, brown ribs for 6 minutes on each side. You will need to do this in batches.
- Remove the browned short ribs to a plate and repeat with remaining ribs and oil.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic, celery, and salt and pepper to the Dutch oven and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and wine to the vegetables and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf. Return the browned short ribs and any juices that have accumulated back into the Dutch oven.
- Add orange zest. Cover with a heavy lid and place in the oven and braise for 3 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Once the ribs are tender, remove the ribs to a platter. Taste for seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the short ribs over the stone ground grits, if desired.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.