I have 3 kids and I’m constantly attempting new meat loaf dishes. This dish is something I established, and it’s one of the very first meat loaves that my kids really went for. See if your kids like it, too!
- HERB SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, carefully sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- MEAT LOAF:
- 2 pounds ground beef or mix of ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 cup skilled dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- In a frying pan, heat oil on high. Saute the mushrooms; onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar. Eliminate 1-1/2 cups. Add water, bay leaf and basil to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Meanwhile, integrate all meat loaf ingredients with 1-1/2 cups reserved sauce. press into a 9×5-in. loaf pan lined with waxed paper. Unmold onto a roasting pan. Bake at 350 ° for 45 minutes or until no pink stays and a thermometer checks out 160 °. Remove from oven; drain. Spread 1/2 cup of herb sauce over top of meat loaf. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Dispose of bay leaf and serve remaining sauce over specific portions.
1 each: 334 calories, 18 g fat (6g hydrogenated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23 g protein.