Prep: 30 min.+ standing Cook: 15 min.
Make a Mediterranean version of nachos using crisped pita wedges topped with ground lamb or beef, feta cheese and a creamy cucumber sauce.—Zaza Fullman-Kasl, Ventura, California
Mediterranean Nachos Recipe photo by Taste of Home
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 whole pita breads
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a colander set over a bowl, toss cucumbers with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze and pat dry. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- Cut each pita into eight wedges; arrange in a singer layer on ungreased baking sheets. Spritz both sides of pitas with cooking spray; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon seasoning mix. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- In a large skillet, cook lamb and remaining seasoning mix over medium heat until lamb is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, cucumbers and remaining salt and pepper. Arrange pita wedges on a serving platter. Layer with lettuce, lamb mixture, tomatoes, olives, onions and cheese. Serve immediately with cucumber sauce.
1 serving: 253 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.