Beef, sausage, rice and onions are in the stuffing for this cabbage rolls recipe.
Ingredients: 2 medium heads of Cabbage,1 14.5 can tomato sauce,2 Garlic Cloves – minced,3 lbs. Ground Chuck,1 1/2 C. Onion – diced small,1/2 t. Pepper,1 1/2 C. Uncle Bens Converted Rice,2 t. Salt,1 lb. Sausage,1 small can Tomato Paste,1 can Tomato Soup,1/2 C. Water
- Mix well in a large bowl all ingredients except cabbage. (For some reason cheap sausage works best in this recipe)In a 5-6 quart pan pour in 3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Core cabbage and remove outer leaves.
- Add 1 head of cabbage to the pan and cover. Turn heat down to medium and let cabbage steam about 5 minutes until you can start peeling off outer leaves. Set cabbage in strainer and run cold water over it to cool and add other cabbage to pan.
- Place the leaves you peel off on paper towels to drain. Repeat until you are down to the centers of the cabbage. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. To begin rolling cabbage on the bigger leaves, cut down the center and remove the large vein. I make my cabbage rolls small, just a little bigger than the size of your thumb. Use 1/2 of the cabbage leaf and add 1 heaping Tablespoon filling at the core end and fold over sides to enclose filling and roll up cabbage.
- Place seam side down and continue to roll until the bottom layer is complete. Salt and pepper this layer. Now continue and add another layer.Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Pour a mixture of 1/4 C. Vinegar and 1/3 C. Oil over the cabbage rolls.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Take pan out of oven and drain off the vinegar and oil mixture.
- Mix up:One 14.5 can tomato sauce1 can Tomato Soup1 small can Tomato Paste1/2 C. Water1 t. Salt
- Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover cabbage rolls and bake at 350°F. for 1 hour and 30 minutes.Note: Usually before I add the tomato sauce mixture, if I have left over cabbage from the center of the cabbage I rough chop it and throw it on top of the cabbage rolls. Salt and pepper a little and then add the tomato mixture over all.