Once in a while, there are some dishes that I just want to scream: you must make this. This is one of them. Please, go. Go make this. I know you won’t be disappointed. If you don’t have a slow cooker, don’t worry! You can braise the short ribs in a Dutch oven or a heavy pot. See cooking notes below.
Ingredients: 4 baby bok choy, sliced in half lengthwise,4 beef short ribs (cut English style),chives,6 garlic cloves,1/3 cup granulated sugar,1 Asian pear(aka apple pear), peeled, cored and roughly sliced,rice noodles,1/4 cup rice vinegar,3 scallions, cut in thirds,2 tablespoons sesame seeds,3/4 cup soy sauce,2 cups water
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the pear, scallions, and garlic, and finely chop.
- Add the water, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar and blend.
- Place the short ribs in the bottom of a slow cooker and cover with the processed mixture.
- Let it cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, turning the meat twice during the cooking process. The short ribs will be done when it is falling off the bones and very tender. Strain the sauce and skim any fat.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles for about 8 minutes, or as instructed by package.
- Drain and set aside. Blanch or steam the bok choy until just tender and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and keep the stalks crisp and bright green.
- To serve, place short ribs on a bed of rice noodles along with some bok choy and ladle the sauce over the ribs and noodles.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, chives and hot chili sauce if desired.
- Serve immediately.If you can not find an Asian pear, any pear variety will work. I have also made this with Comice pear, and it worked beautifully.Braising without a slow cooker:Preheat oven to 275 degrees.Follow Step 1 above.
- Place an ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add vegetable oil, and heat until it is very hot but not yet smoking. Season short ribs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add short ribs to the pot, working in batches if necessary (take care not to let the short ribs touch – you run the risk of them steaming rather than browning). Cook ribs until browned. Do not rush!
- Remove any excess fat.
- Pour the blended liquid over the ribs carefully; stir with wooden spoon until all browned bits have been scraped from the pan and the bottom of the casserole is clean. Bring it to a simmer over medium high heat. Cover the casserole, and place it in the oven. Cook until ribs are very tender, about 3 hours. Strain the sauce and skim any fat.Continue recipe with Step 3.