Cooking your Keto Lamb Shanks in the Immediate Pot results in meltingly tender and tasty lamb that falls off the bone. Since this Instant Pot lamb shank approach only takes about an hour, it’s a LOT much faster than braising your lamb shanks in the traditional way. Dairy free, Squeaky Clean Keto, and Whole 30 friendly.
Complete disclosure– I haven’t always been a fan of lamb. I realized eventually, after consuming some amazing lamb dishes at dining establishments, that it wasn’t the lamb that was the problem– it was the way it was cooked and experienced (or not) that was the problem!
While it’s true that lamb has a distinct taste, when cooked correctly and experienced in such a way that improves that distinct lamb flavor– it’s a superb and healthy protein that you should certainly give another possibility!
Beginning, of course, with these Keto Lamb Shanks in the Immediate Pot!
If you do not have an Instant Pot (um, to start with, why not? They are a video game changer!) do not anguish, you can braise these Keto Lamb Shanks for a few hours on the stovetop or in the oven in a heavy covered pan (a cast iron dutch oven like this one works fantastic) or prepare them in a slow cooker for 6– 8 hours.
I opted for a curry ambiance in these keto lamb shanks, however it’s not overtly curry flavored– just abundant and earthy, with a little spice from the garam masala. I garnished with cilantro and added some sliced mutton peppers, which resemble a scotch bonnet and bring not only heat, but also a nice smokiness to the final product.
Totally optional, however if you like it hot too, I recommend attempting a little sliced habanero, scotch bonnet, or other spicy chilis contributed to the sauce and the garnish to make these keto lamb shanks genuinely additional.
As you can see, I served these Keto Lamb Shanks on a bed of cauliflower puree, which I EXTREMELY RECOMMEND to absorb all that remarkable gravy! If you’re dairy complimentary, opt for my dairy free Garlic & Chive Cauliflower Mash, however if you’re not, then my famous Better Than Potatoes Cheesy Cauliflower Puree would be even more decadent and scrumptious.
A thicker and heartier choice would be my Cheesy Keto Polenta, or if you choose more texture in your keto side meals, then some fundamental cauliflower rice or cooked spaghetti squash would likewise work well with this keto lamb shanks recipe.
If you’ve been on the fence about eating lamb, offer it another opportunity with these keto lamb shanks, and I guarantee you won’t be dissatisfied!
If lamb is out of season or not offered where you live, you might change it with beef short ribs, chuck roast, ox tails, or perhaps chicken thighs and still get excellent results from this dish! If utilizing chicken thighs, I advise reducing the cooking time to about 35 minutes, so they do not rely on mush.
Author: Mellissa Sevigny
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Overall Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 2 portions 1 x
Cooking your Keto Lamb Shanks in the Instant Pot leads to meltingly tender and tasty lamb that falls off the bone. Since this Instantaneous Pot lamb shank approach only takes about an hour, it’s a LOT much faster than braising your lamb shanks in the traditional way. Dairy totally free, Squeaky Clean Keto, and Whole 30 friendly.
- 2 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated erythritol (omit for SCKC or Whole 30)
- 1/8 th teaspoon xanthan gum (optional to thicken)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, to garnish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chilis, to garnish
- Combine the salt, pepper, onion flakes, coriander, paprika, cumin, and garam masala in a little bowl.
- Rub the mixture all over the lamb shanks, reserving any additional spice mix.
- Turn your Immediate Pot on and pick the saute setting.
- Heat the oil in the pot and sear the lamb shanks for about 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Include the ginger, garlic, booked spice mixture, and tomato paste, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and water to the pot and stir, to release any bits from the bottom.
- Place the cover on the pot and seal it, making sure the vent is closed.
- Set the Instant Pot to Handbook, High Pressure, 45 minutes.
- When finished, turn off the instant pot and let it cool off for 15 minutes. Launch any staying steam or pressure utilizing the quick release lever.
- Remove the meat thoroughly, and set the pot back to sauté.
- Whisk in the sweetener and xanthan gum if utilizing, then simmer the liquid, stirring periodically, for about 5 minutes, or up until thickened.
- Carefully include the lamb shanks back into the gravy and turn to coat.
- Serve the lamb shanks on cauliflower puree or cauliflower rice, with the gravy put over the leading and garnished with fresh cilantro and chilis if wanted.
If cooking on the stovetop, after adding the liquids, cover and simmer on low heat for 2– 3 hours, or up until tender. Or put the covered pan in the oven for 2– 3 hours at 325 degrees.
If cooking in a sluggish cooker– after adding the liquids, cover and set to 6 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.
Approximate net carbs per serving = 4g.
- Category: Keto Main Dishes
- Method: Instantaneous Pot
- Serving Size: 1 lamb shank, 1/4 cup gravy
- Calories: 564
- Fat: 47 g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 42 g
Keywords: lamb shanks, lamb, curry, keto, immediate pot, dinner, whole 30, low carbohydrate, dairy free, spotless keto, SCKC