My stew-like soup is loaded with nutritious components, yet it’s so easy to prepare. I make homemade bread or breadsticks to serve with it.– Sherman Snowball, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14 -1/ 2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large resealable plastic bag, integrate the flour, salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil.
- Stir in the staying components.
1-1/2 cups: 276 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate (14 g sugars, 5g fiber), 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.