Prep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + standing
It’s hard to resist a big scoop of this comforting casserole with its fluffy mashed potato topping. Eggplant, lamb and ground turkey complement each other nicely in the stick-to-your-ribs filling. —Sharon Ann McGray, San Francisco, California
Greek Shepherd’s Pie Recipe photo by Taste of Home
- 5-1/2 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Place eggplant in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes with sour cream and butter; set aside.
- Rinse eggplant and drain well. Sprinkle with flour and toss to coat. In a skillet, cook eggplant in oil over medium heat until browned and oil is absorbed. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, cook lamb and turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, onion, parsley and seasonings. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Pour over eggplant; sprinkle with feta cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until top begins to brown. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.