This hearty and spicy stew is terrific with fresh rolls and your favorite green salad.– Karen Gorman, Gunnison, Colorado.
- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained pipes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 -1/ 2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes and corn chips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown lamb in 1 tablespoon oil.
- In the exact same pan, saute onion and pepper in remaining oil till tender.
- Bring to a boil.
1-1/2 cups: 325 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 646 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate (10 g sugars, 9g fiber), 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.