Prep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
Cottage pie is a combination of ground lamb or beef with mashed potatoes, topped with a bubbling layer of cheese is the perfect comfort food. It’s a good remedy for the winter chills.—Shannon Copley, Upper Arlington, Ohio
Classic Cottage Pie Recipe photo by Taste of Home
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook lamb, carrots and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in flour, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth and wine; stir in tomato paste and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Transfer meat mixture into a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Drain potatoes; mash with milk and butter. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Spread over meat mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet (plate will be full). Bake 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
1 each: 408 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 728mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.