This robust chili groups rice and kidney and pinto beans with a range of colorful vegetables for a hearty meatless meal that’s great tasting and good for you.– Taste of House Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14 -1/ 2 ounces each) Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained pipes
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup raw long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, saute green pepper, onion and garlic in oil up until tender.
1 cup: 196 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 424 mg salt, 37 g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.