Flavored from the within out with a fragile herb-butter, our Chicken Kiev recipe is lightly browned in oil then baked in the oven to make a pleasantly damp and buttery completed dish.
Although it may be called for the capital of Ukraine, this classic chicken meal is really of French origin. Chicken Kiev is a boneless chicken breast, pounded thin, rolled around herb-flavored butter then covered in breadcrumbs and fried and/or baked.
The butter and herbs instill the chicken from the within out, leading to a pleasantly damp and delicately flavored dish that makes certain to end up being a household favorite.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1 big egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-1/4 cups dry breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
For the herb-butter:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small shallot, really carefully chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, carefully sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, carefully sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon newly ground black pepper
- Start by preparing the herb butter. Place the softened butter in a little bowl. Add the shallot, chives, parsley, tarragon, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Integrate thoroughly, then move the mix to a sheet of wax paper.
- While the butter chills, gently pound the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling wrap to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Season on both sides with salt and pepper and reserved.
- Eliminate the butter from the freezer and cut into four 2 x 1-inch pieces. Location one piece of butter in the center of each chicken breast, then roll as firmly as possible, tucking in the sides of the breast as best you can. Place the rolls seam side down on a plate and cool for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F and coat a 9 x 9-inch baking meal with nonstick spray.
- Blend the egg and milk together in a shallow meal and spread the breadcrumbs on a supper plate.
- Carefully coat each piece of chicken with the egg mixture, then roll in the crumbs, patting carefully to assist them adhere.
- Cover the bottom of a large nonstick pan with veggie oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or till the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Permit to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Portion:
Calories: 545 Total Fat: 28 g Saturated Fat: 13 g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13 g Cholesterol: 195 mg Carbohydrates: 27 g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 44 g
Note: Nutrition information is approximated and might differ from your real results.
About the Author
Lynne Webb is the editor, publisher and dish designer. A lifelong food lover and experienced cook, she chose to utilize her graphic style and marketing background to introduce a website where she could check out and share her passion for food.
Stay up to date.
Sign up for receive a new collection of dishes, cooking tips and more delivered to your inbox each week.