Prep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
These delicious ribs are often on the menu when my husband and I have company for dinner. The allspice and bay leaf come through nicely, and the meat is very tender. I’ve been making this stovetop recipe for at least 40 years.
Braised Ribs Recipe photo by Taste of Home
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, brown ribs in butter and oil for about 3 minutes on each side; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, cook and stir the onion for 2 minutes. Add water, salt, sugar and pepper, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Place bay leaves and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Place in pan. Return ribs to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and keep warm. Discard spice bag. Skim fat from pan drippings. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs.
4 ounces cooked beef: 316 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.