The oxtail mix is
also great served by itself with a sweet-and-savory Red Onion Jam.
- For the Oxtail:.
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil.
- . 2 pounds oxtails.
- 1 big onion, roughly sliced.
- 1 big carrot, roughly sliced.
- 2 stalks celery, roughly sliced.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste.
- 1 1/2 cups dry red white wine.
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought low salt chicken stock.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley leaves.
Kosher salt and newly ground black pepper.
- For the Sandwiches:.
- 6 small loaves of ciabatta or hearty sandwich rolls.
- 3/4 cup sliced marinaded cherry peppers( optional).
- .12 ounces Comté, Gruyère, or Swiss cheese, very finely sliced.
.< div data-bind-scroll-on-start="true" data-sc-ad-label-height =" 24" data-sc-ad-track-spacing ="" data-sc-breakpoint ="54 em" data-sc-content-positions ="[300,600,900,1200,1500,1800,2100]" data-sc-load-immediate="1" data-sc-max-track-height ="600" data-sc-min-track-height ="250" data-sc-sticky-offset ="60" id="structured-project __ steps_1-0" >
For the Oxtail: Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 250 ° F. Heat oil in a big Dutch oven over high heat until glittering. Add as lots of oxtail pieces as will suit a single layer. Cook up until well browned, about 6 minutes. Flip pieces and cook till second side is browned, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a large plate and repeat with staying oxtails up until all oxtails are browned.
Return oxtails to pot, bring to a simmer, cover with the cover somewhat open, and transfer to the oven. Cook up until oxtail meat comes easily off the bone, about 4 hours.
To Make the Sandwiches: Preheat broiler to high. Slice bread in half horizontally and place cut-side-up on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Eliminate from broiler. Divide oxtail mix evenly in between bottom halves of bread. Top oxtail with marinaded cherry peppers and slices of cheese. Remove leading halves of bread from tray. Broil bottom halves until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Close sandwiches and serve.
This Dish Appears In
- Low and Slow: Braised Oxtail and Gruyère Sandwiches
Rate This Recipe
I don’t like this at all.
It’s not the worst.
Sure, this will do.
I’m a fan– would suggest.
Incredible! I love it!
Thanks for your ranking!