A classic beef vegetable soup with meat chunks that cook up melt-in-your-mouth tender and brimming full of veggies in a rich beef broth.
Ingredients: 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar,64 oz. beef broth,1- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes,1 lb. carrots, sliced,2 cups frozen mixed vegetables-carrots, green beans, peas and corn (I eyeballed it),3-4 ribs of celery, chopped,1 dried bay leaf,1 tsp. dried thyme,2 lbs. Flat Iron Steak, cut into 1″ pieces (I used Certified Angus Beef),10 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms (I usually go with 20 oz. We like mushrooms),2 cloves garlic, minced,1/2 Tbs olive oil,1 large onion, diced,1/2 cup red wine (your favorite variety is fine!),salt and pepper,1 – 2 Tbs. tomato paste,1- lb. baby Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- In large dutch oven ( at least 6 quarts) heat olive oil on med-high heat until it shimmers. Season beef pieces with salt and pepper (as you like) and place in pot. ( you might want to do this in batches, as you want the beef to get a good sear and if you crowd the pan, it will just steam) Sear the beef and get it good and brown on all sides.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Add onion, celery and carrot to the pan and cook on med-high heat until onion starts to become transparent.
- Add in the garlic and stir. Continue to cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms and stir. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms look done.
- Add in the dried thyme and the tomato paste. Stir.
- Add the beef back into the pot.
- Add the potatoes and bay leaf.
- Pour the beef broth, red wine and canned tomatoes in and stir. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Simmer with lid half on for about an hour.
- Add in the frozen mixed veggies and stir. Bring back to a simmer and cook until the veggies are cooked through and the potatoes are tender. (about another 1/2 an hour or so)
- Add in the cider vinegar, remove the bay leaf and enjoy!